Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed.
If you go for spiritual growth with your New Year’s resolutions, you’ll score big dividends. Paul put it this way: “Live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature” (Gal 5:16).
A paragraph later, he named nine qualities that he called the fruit of the Spirit: “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (vv. 22, 23).
Make growth in these nine character-traits your resolutions for the year.
Here are some various translations of these virtues:
- Love (affection for others)
- Joy (gladness, exuberance about life)
- Peace (serenity)
- Patience (forbearance, longsuffering, an even temper)
- Kindness (compassion, good will)
- Goodness (benevolence, generosity)
- Faithfulness (fidelity)
- Gentleness (tolerance, meekness, humility)
- Self-control (temperance, self-restraint, chastity)
Best wishes and Happy New Year.